Friday, December 20, 2013

First Impressions III Tristan Sutrisno




Soon there after a friend from tournaments, Tristan Sutrisno, invited me to visit his school in Hazleton.
From my study in Tang Soo Do I had a rough idea of the forms. What I experienced was different. The form he was using, though somewhat different, I could follow.  But there was also Bunkai for the form movement, I had not seen that, at that time I was not taught the word from my instructors, not at many of the other schools I had trained at. Of course the paradigm for his Bunkai was different from any others I later saw
(Today Though I use ‘application study and practice’ and’ application realization’ for my own practice).  The only practice I recognize as Bunkai is what he taught me. Of course this is what I studied.

There were also aikido drills which fit into his karate program. And the day he first showed us his skills in Kobudo (Bo, Sai, Tonfa, Kama, Jo, Kintana, Kama, Tanto)

I realized the depth of a program beyond what you could see at a tournament. Later I would discover he had other arts.


No comments: