Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A result of research





This began long ago.

First I recall reading John Hamilton’s article Seiken Tsuki back in the about 1980. 

 

 
            Then as part of my learning Sutrisno Gojushiho, Tristan Sutrisno taught me this method of striking.I remember it taking me several weeks to get comfortable with it. Since that time I move between the fist formations for the kata I practice.

 
The result years later was my article on Fighting Arts. Com.

 
Secrets of the Original Okinawan Fist  http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=215

 
During my research Harrill Sensei suggested I contact Philip Kopell, and he shared this reply

 

Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 9:17 PM

Subject: Re: A Request Koeppel Sensei

 
Smith Sensei,

 I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your request. I have been half way around the world since you sent it to me. I also had to do some traveling when I returned to the States.

 
It is interesting, Fighting Arts.com/ Chris was a young student in my dojo in 61/62 when he was a student at Bradley University. I still get to see him from time to time. He has done a fine job with his internet site.

Speaking of Harrell Sensei, he is an excellent karatedo! You got to love his attitude and application.

I hope to get together with him here in Illinois when he is at Champaign in the near future.

Mr. Smith, here is what I can give you on my knowledge of the Seiken fist from my knowledge of it.

I started in Yokohama , Japan in 1956. I was stationed there in the Navy. The two dojo's I trained at both used the standard closed fist. I was transferred to Hawaii in 58 and started training in Sensei Adriano Emperado's dojo in Wahiawa. This is where I ran into the straight index finger closed under the thumb

 When I asked about it there , Sensei, Tony Ramos, Vern Tokomoto, Jerry Martin, all stated that it gave a better spread to first two knuckles that you struck with. This was the standard fist for all application in his dojo at that time. I do not know what they do now. When I came out of the service in 60 and joined the USKA under R.A. Trias Sensei, I asked him about the history and usefulness of this type of fist. Trias sensei stated that it was called a " Shorei" fist. I never really questioned him about it but over a period of time the term "Shorei" has always been linked to Naha te, ti , de... And I know the Goju people do not use this type of fist.

 Patrick McCarthy spend about a week in my dojo in 97. I noticed he used this type of fist from time to time. We talked about it. He stated that it was not a "Shorei" fist but an application to help form a cupping palm. Also when striking with Oniken, the finger on some karatedo will be straight. I reinforce this theory with the cupping of the hand with using the coin. When Kimo Wall started training at my dojo from time to time he introduced the "Tama Ball" training and exercises. This also gives you a cupping hand, and you will notice when you keep the index finger straight and really squeeze with the thumb the palm of the had cups. The theory on Happoren, Tensho is the palm of the hand when pushing in shotei, is cupped for energy release.
 
A lot of this is conjecture on my part along with what other people, McCarthy, Trias,  and Wall have told me and 46 years of training.

I appreciate your research and if you come across any additional information on this subject I would appreciate you letting me know what you find.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Sincerely,

Yours in Budo,

 P.W. Koeppel

No comments: