Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Okinawa's Bushi

 
There is a very large difference between the term Bushi from the Japanese point of view and the Okinawan point of view. I decided long ago to use the term because Funakoshi Ginchin used it in his book “My Story” an autobiographic study of his lifetime experiences. And one of the terms he used for karate was “Bushi No Te” which he described as an older term for the Okinawan karate “Warriors Hands”.
 
At the time I didn’t realize there was a difference between the Okinawan use of Bushi and the Japanese use.
 Along the way I discovered this article by Charles Goodin, which brilliantly describes the difference.
Okinawa’s Bushi : Karate Gentlemen  http://seinenkai.com/art-bushi.html
This really changed my thinking, and was closer to what I tried to do with my own group.
 
It is worth the time to read Mr. Goodin.


No comments: