Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Moving forward with Disability


One of the difficulties remaining a martial artist while becoming disabled is that of finding relevance to martial studies in your training.

 

With the onset of lack of balance, increasing weakness, speech difficulties Much of my practice became less relevant.

 

I countered by walking, using those walks to keep my body active, and while I walk varying distances I can do up to 3 miles or so.

 

I kept up with Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai Chi Kung practices, working my limbs and joints in a pattern of movement.

 

It took me a year but I learned how to utilize partial tai chi movement and continue with my Yang study. No it isn’t the same, but it is working as much as I can.


My karate kata remained it altered forms, mostly keeping to the essence of each kata. Altough the speed is slowed to my current abilities.

 

On most days I can only do a part of my tai chi and a few kata. But through the average week I work the entire range of the Isshinryu system. Bo, Tonfa, Sai, Kama, Tanto studies all are probablematical.

 

I believe I have hit on a balance. I have a pair of Chinzenbo, which were a gift from a friend.  I have been working on them with various kata studies seeing what makes sense. There is no question they allow me to strike with power.

 

I have finally decided on the kata use that makes the most sense to me. I have accordingly developed for me Sanchin NO Chinzenbo Kata. The range of striking in this use of Sanchin works for most of the scenarios I perceive.

 

The interesting thing is I can still perform as much of 70% of my kata application studies with power, my close in movement abilities remain.

 

I have a range of tools, which I do not discuss, which work quite well. Almost as if there is no difference.

 

This will allow me to get back to my striking.


 

Sanchin NO Chizikenbo

 

1.    Rei

2.    RFF Sanchin Dachi

a.     Right Side Strike with Chizikenbo Top as left top Chizikenbo circles up and strikes into the solar plexus

b.    Right bottom Chizikenbo strikes into the arm.

c.     Left descending Chizikenbo butt strike

3.    LFF Sanchin Dachi

a.     Left Side Strike with Chizikenbo Top as right top Chizikenbo circles up and strikes into the solar plexus

b.    Left bottom Chizikenbo strikes into the arm.

c.     Right descending Chizikenbo butt strike

4.    RFF Sanchin Dachi

a.     Right Side Strike with Chizikenbo Top as left top Chizikenbo circles up and strikes into the solar plexus

b.    Right bottom Chizikenbo strikes into the arm.

c.     Left descending Chizikenbo butt strike

d.    Right descending Chizikenbo butt strike

e.     Left descending Chizikenbo butt strike

5.    Double outside inward hammer strikes followed by descending Chizikenbo butt strikes , chamber

a.     Double outside inward hammer strikes followed by descending Chizikenbo butt strikes, chamber

b.    Double outside inward hammer strikes followed by descending outside inward hammer strikes followed by descending Chizikenbo butt strikes, chamber

c.     Double outside inward hammer strikes followed by descending Chizikenbo butt strikes

6.    RFB left cross butt strike then left side butt strike

a.     Right butt strike into the arm

b.    Left descending chizikenbo butt strike, chamber

7.    LFB right cross butt strike then right side butt strike

a.     Left butt strike into the arm

b.    Right descending chizikenbo butt strike

8.    Rei

 

 

No comments: