Saturday, December 17, 2016

Hiikomi No Kata (Judo) to the Kusanku Crescent Kick

So, I started the morning thinking about the move from Chinese Wrestling I saw last week that could resemble the Kusanku kata crescent kick as an entry into a throw.
 
Then I found this throw in Hikomi No Kata from Judo, and it shows similar potential. I am too old, but I can still dream. Never stop searching.
 















 
 
 
 
About a month ago I started thinking about the advantages and disadvantages of film/YouTube videos. There are obvious advantages, more so if you know the form or the technique. Then the video can reinforce your knowledge

Less value if you don’t know th
e form of the techniques. If the video is long, you are less likely to keep your focus on the video over time. So much can be missed or overlooked. I am sure there are tools to have them play more slowly, that may be only part of the problem.

I then hit on why not take screen shots of the video.

The process I am using, there are several ways I do this, is extremely manual. I also know there are tools that might do this with automation and greater accuracy, But the process I developed, while it does take time, also allows you to think about what you are doing. That is more important to me. How much you do is up to you.

I can’t get every detail of very fast movement. But enough detail to make what is happening useful for study.

And much of the time I imbed the scans into word documents with comments added, and then place the whole thing in a .pdf for future reverence. Depending on how fast you move through that document it can approximate the video, and break the parts down for individual viewing. I also just put the screen prints in a .pdf on their own to.

As an example, I will use this. I saw this YouTube video and thought I would make a good scan as for a ‘neat’ factor. Then as I was going along I realized the 2nd and 3rd technique shown might be a use for the crescent kick in Chinto. So that became the focus of this effort.

There is a wealth of video out there, YouTube, on Facebook, Vimeo etc. Anything you want to see more clearly can be scanned. And then you find small details. It is not necessarily stand alone, for if used in conjunction with the video, more is realized too.

No comments: